Two Israeli settlers were shot dead and another injured in a shooting attack on their car in the south Hebron hills in the southern occupied West Bank on Friday, Israel’s army said.
An Israeli army spokesperson said shots were fired at their vehicle, with the perpetrator fleeing the scene.
Media reports said that a Palestinian suspect exited his vehicle before firing on the car, reportedly carrying a family of seven, near the illegal Otniel settlement west of Yatta. The suspect then got back into his vehicle and fled the area.
The victims were said to be an 18-year-old and a man in his forties, while a 16-year-old was lightly injured on the foot by gun fire.
Four others were taken to the Soroka medical center for treatment for shock.
Israeli forces began searching for the suspect, and closed all entrances and roads leading to the site of the attack and closed the entrances to the nearby al-Fawwar refugee camp, Dura, and al-Dhahiriya.
Twelve Israelis have been killed in attacks by Palestinian individuals since the start of last month, the majority in occupied Palestinian territory in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
Eight-two Palestinians have been killed in the same time period.
Friday’s shooting attack came shortly before Israeli forces shot 23-year-old Hassan Jihad al-Baw, in the heart during clashes in the Hebron area, killing him immediately.
Al-Baw was the second Palestinian to die on Friday. Earlier in the day, Issa al-Shalaldah, 22, succumbed to his injuries in the al-Ahli hospital a day after being shot by Israeli forces during clashes.