Egypt Closes Rafah Crossing

Egyptian authorities on Thursday closed the Rafah crossing after it had been temporarily opened for three days.

Palestinian crossing officials told Ma’an that 830 Palestinians in Gaza used the crossing, which was reopened on Tuesday.

There was no indication from Egypt when it will be reopened again.

The crossing has been closed almost completely — save for a few days — since it was closed in October after an attack on Egyptian police by militants in Sinai.

The Palestinian Ministry of Internal Affairs says over 25,000 humanitarian cases are on a waiting list to use the crossing for medical treatment and to continue their studies abroad.

During the first six months of the year when the crossing was almost entirely open except for 22 days, an average of 6,400 people crossed each month, according to the UN.

The jointly-enforced Israeli-Egyptian blockade on the tiny territory has led to frequent humanitarian crises and armed conflicts with Israel, and is currently limiting the entry of construction material for the devastated Strip’s post-war reconstruction, promised by the international community.

(Ma’an – www.maannews.net)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.