Egyptian authorities will open the Rafah crossing with Gaza to allow thousands of Palestinians, stranded for weeks on the Egyptian side, to return home to the Strip, an official said Wednesday.
Nathmi Muhanna, director of Palestinian crossings and borders, told Ma’an that Rafah would be open on Wednesday from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Palestinian ambassador to Egypt Jamal al-Shubki confirmed that he had received word from the Egyptian leadership that the crossing would be opened.
The Palestinian Authority applauded the Egyptian decision to briefly open the crossing.
Egyptian authorities closed Rafah in the wake of a bomb attack in North Sinai last month that left 30 Egyptian policemen dead.
The Rafah crossing is the principal connection between Gaza’s 1.7 million people and the outside world, but Egypt largely keeps it closed as part of the jointly-enforced Israeli blockade on the Strip.
(Ma’an – www.maannews.net)