A spokesman for the Hamas movement on Thursday denied Egyptian claims that Hamas provided support to the perpetrators of the Dec. 24 explosion in Egypt’s Dakahlia governorate.
Sami Abu Zuhri said the Egyptian minister of interior’s claims that Hamas provided logistical support for the attack were “false and unfounded.”
Such claims are an attempt to misguide Egyptians, Abu Zuhri said in statement.
Earlier Thursday, Egyptian media reported that Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim accused Hamas of providing support to “terrorists” in the city of Mansoura.
Ibrahim “claimed a Muslim Brotherhood member had admitted to involvement in various crimes in Mansoura and to having links with Hamas,” according to al-Ahram.
The Brotherhood member “admitted receiving weapons training in Gaza,” Ibrahim was quoted as saying.
At least 12 people were killed and over 130 injured on Dec. 24 when two explosions hit an Interior Ministry building in Mansoura.
The militant group Ansar Beit El-Maqdis claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Brotherhood, which has denied any involvement and condemned the bombing, was designated a “terrorist” organization by the Egyptian government last week.
(Ma’an – www.maannews.net)