A UN expert has announced that the International Criminal Court (ICC) may probe Israel’s brutal attack against a Gaza-bound aid convoy.
The Mavi Marmara ship was assaulted by Israeli navy commandos in international waters in May. The incident left nine Turkish activists dead and several others injured.
The ship’s flag state is the Comoros Islands, which are members of the court, "which gives the ICC jurisdiction," AFP quoted Desmond de Silva, a member of a UN Human Rights Council’s (UNHRC) probe into the attack, as saying on Tuesday.
Last week, UNHRC, which ordered the investigation of the Israeli attack, said that there is clear evidence to back prosecution against Israel for killing and torturing when its troops stormed the aid ship.
The probe also revealed that six of the nine deceased were "victims of summary executions."
The UN-appointed experts also said Israel withheld photos and video footage belonging to several reporters and other activists onboard the ship.
The Gaza Freedom Flotilla was trying to deliver thousands of tons of humanitarian supplies to the 1.5 million impoverished people of Gaza, who have been under Israel’s siege since 2007.