‘Israel Breaks Demolition Record’

The United Nations has warned that the demolition of the Palestinian residences by Israelis has been breaking the record for the past three months.

"The number of Palestinian buildings in the West Bank demolished by the Israeli authorities has hit a record high for the third consecutive month," said Chris Gunness, spokesman for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees on Sunday, AFP reported.

"The number of people forcibly displaced by these demolitions has also hit a record monthly high with 158 people forcibly displaced in March by demolitions, including 64 children," he said.

The official said respectively 29, 70 and 76 homes had been razed to the ground each month since January.

The policy clearly aims at "discrimination against one ethnic group," Gunness noted.

Tel Aviv is accused of implementing an apartheid system, under which it indulges Jews while withholding basic requirements from the Palestinians.

The destructions have been carried out coincidental with Israel’s building of illegal Jewish settlements in the West Bank and East al-Quds (Jerusalem). Tel Aviv occupied the two Palestinian territories in 1967 and later annexed them, in a move not recognized by the international community.

The UN and the European Union have condemned the settlements as illegal under the international law, which bans construction of units on occupied territories.

Gunness said the simultaneous acts of tearing down the Palestinian houses and erecting the settler units diminish the prospects of creation of a Palestinian state.

(Press TV)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*