An Israeli military inquiry claims that the last-month killing of four Palestinians by Tel Aviv forces had been prompted by ‘tactical failure.’
An investigation launched into the March incidents claimed the deaths had been caused by lack of preparedness on the part of the forces, said the Israeli newspaper Haaretz on Monday.
On March 20, Israeli police clashed in the occupied West Bank with Palestinian demonstrators who were trying to defend their property against Israeli settlers. The police started shooting randomly at the Palestinian civilians with tear gas canisters and live ammunition, killing a 16-year-old youth and fatally injuring another.
The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, B’Tselem and medical sources said shortly afterwards that the deaths had been caused by live rounds, the AFP reported.
The inquiry, though, noted that it could not confirm the application of the projectiles.
The other killings in a West Bank village saw an Israeli soldier gunning down two Palestinians who, he claimed, were “attempting to attack” him, AFP added.
The Tel Aviv forces regularly launch bloody crackdown operations on Palestinian protest rallies against the Israeli occupation.
The West Bank has been dotted with Israeli-built dividing walls and checkpoints that severely restrict the Palestinian access to different parts of the area while completely closing off some 38 percent of the territory to them.
Many Israeli killings of the Palestinians are also justified by the claim that the victims had defied strict surveillance measures.