Thousands of Palestinians on Friday evening received the bodies of five Palestinians who were killed by Israeli forces in Hebron over the last month.
The five were identified as Dania Irsheid al-Husseini, 17, Bayan Ayman al-Essili, 16, Tariq Ziyad al-Natsha,16, Hussam Ismail al-Jabari,17, and Bashar Nidal al-Jabari,15.
All were involved in attacks in Hebron that the Israeli army said resulted in injury of Israeli military personnel excluding Dania, who eyewitnesses said did not attempt an attack.
Hebron governor Kamil Hmeid said the bodies were returned after the intervention of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and international groups, adding that he expects remaining bodies to be returned soon.
A Fatah official in central Hebron Imad Khirwat said the bodies will be transferred to Hebron Governmental Hospital where autopsies will be performed in order to record potential Israeli violations.
A joint funeral is expected to be held Saturday when the five will be laid to rest in al-Shuhada cemetery in al-Sheikh neighborhood of Hebron.
Seperately, the Palestinian Red Crescent told Ma’an on Friday that the body of Mutaz Atallah Qassem, 22, killed on Oct. 21 after injuring an Israeli soldier, had been received at the entrance of al-Ezariya village and taken to Abu Dis Medical Center near Jerusalem.
Spokesman for a popular resistance committee in the area, Hani Halabiya, told Ma’an that thousands of Palestinians were present to receive the body. Qassem’s funeral is expected to take place tonight.
Palestinians across Hebron protested this week in a “rally of anger” against Israel’s decision to withhold the bodies of 11 Palestinians shot dead by Israeli forces since Oct. 1.
Israel’s security cabinet decided earlier this month that the bodies of Palestinians shot dead by Israeli forces after carrying out attacks on Israeli citizens would no longer be returned to their families.
– Read more: Israel Returns Bodies of 5 Palestinians in Hebron, 1 Near Jerusalem – Ma’an