New Zealand’s Zionist Diplomacy in the Security CouncilOct 30 2015 / 7:26 pm
By Dr. Vacy Vlazna
The reprehensible draft ‘resolution’ circulated by New Zealand (NZ), the present chair of the UN Security Council, is so blatantly biased against the Palestinian people that it proffers, in this instance, the correct diplomatic protocol to mind its own business, particularly as NZ is an on-the-record, apologist and morally blind supporter of Israel. On July 22, 2014 as Israel’s vicious war on the people of Gaza raged savagely and relentlessly, Prime Minister John Key, repeated the Zionist mantra that “Israel has a right to defend itself.”
In June this year, during a visit to Israel, NZ’s Foreign Minister Murray McCully ran the idea of the resolution by Netanyahu. So, sure enough, NZ, like all western governments, obsequiously replicated Zionist propaganda in the ‘resolution’:
- NZ normalizes Israeli atrocities by falsely presenting Israel and Palestine as equal perpetrators and equal victims and
- By pushing the demand that Palestine gives up its endeavor for justice in the International Criminal Court thus letting Israel off scott free for its monstrous war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- While NZ demands that Israel freezes its rapacious settlement expansion (in which NZ invests. See below), it absurdly promotes the farce of negotiations that expand settlements. There is no demand by NZ that the Zionist infiltrators leave the present settlements that have illegally expropriated half of the remaining Palestinian West Bank.
- NZ obediently keeps up the pretense of a two state solution when Netanyahu has repeatedlyruled out Palestinian sovereignty:
“At the height of the 2014 Gaza war, Netanyahu revealed that he doesn’t envision Palestinian sovereignty in the West Bank any time soon. “I think the Israeli people understand now what I always say: that there cannot be a situation, under any agreement, in which we relinquish security control of the territory west of the River Jordan,” he said at a press conference in Jerusalem. In other words: no withdrawal and no Palestinian sovereignty, which means no state of Palestine.
“A few months later, Netanyahu said, in a much quoted interview on the eve of the March 17 election, that, “indeed,” no Palestinian state would be created under his leadership.”
- To add insult to hypocrisy, NZ does not act on its recommendations – it will not “make a move to first recognize the Palestinian state.”
- Then loading more inanity on the ridiculous, NZ calls on the same incompetent clowns “theQuartet (United States, Russia, United Nations and European Union), Security Council members and Arab states” to maintain the posturing of the nihilistic negotiations.
So what can the people of Palestine expect from a flunkey state that belongs to the Impunity- for- Israel’s- War- Crimes Club?
A state furthermore that owns a government body, the New Zealand Super Fund that invests in and profits from a number of Israeli companies integrally connected to the illegal settlements and/or Israel’s arms industry such as Israel Chemicals which supplies white phosphorus to the USA which in turn sells its white phosphorous munitions back to Israel which then fires them illegally on innocent Gaza children such as little Hamza Almidani, 3.
Palestinians can expect the same old bystander impunity that exacerbates their suffering caused by the ongoing betrayal of NZ’s own obligations as a High Contracting Party to the Geneva Conventions to protect and uphold Palestinian political and human rights.
This dishonorable ‘resolution’ comes at a crucial time when Palestinian children and youth are being extra judicially executed in the street for their courageous efforts to uphold their rights while NZ fails them and, in doing so, shames the decency of the people of New Zealand.
– Dr. Vacy Vlazna is Coordinator of Justice for Palestine Matters. She was Human Rights Advisor to the GAM team in the second round of the Acheh peace talks, Helsinki, February 2005 then withdrew on principle. Vacy was convenor of Australia East Timor Association and coordinator of the East Timor Justice Lobby as well as serving in East Timor with UNAMET and UNTAET from 1999-2001. She contributed this article to PalestineChronicle.com.