PA Warns of Violence if Israeli Constructions Continue

The Palestinian Authority has warned of an inevitable violence in the region, should the US fail to force Israel into halting settlement activity on the occupied lands.

"If America remains unable to assume its required role, there will be a destructive effect for which Israel and the United States will be held responsible," spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina told AFP on Monday.

The Palestinians have repeatedly said they will not resume peace talks, unless Washington convinces Israel to completely halt the construction of settlements on the occupied West Bank.

They have also insisted on a clear framework for the talks and a timetable for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem Al-Quds, which was occupied by Israel in 1967.

"Violence will rush in to fill the void left by the failure of efforts to re-launch the peace process, if the US administration does not hurry up and exert pressure on the Israeli government," Rudeina added.

"The peace process has hit a dead-end because of Israel’s intransigence and its insistence on a policy of colonization," he said.

The remarks were made hours before Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was to meet with US President Barack Obama in Washington.

Netanyahu, who says he is willing to resume peace talks with the Palestinians, has so far refused the US demands for a freeze of settlement activities.

He, instead, offers a set of proposals for settlement limits that falls short of a complete halt.

(Press TV)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*