Israeli authorities on Monday transferred hunger striking Palestinian prisoner Muhammad Allan to a medical center in southern Israel, raising fears that the detainee is due to be force-fed by Israel, official news agency Wafa reported.
Allan, who has been on hunger strike for 57 days, was previously being held at Soroka hospital in Beersheba.
On Sunday, Israeli hospital doctors refused to force feed Allan, an international rights group said.
Physicians for Human Rights Israel tweeted: “Hunger striker Muhammad Allan’s hospital doctors refuse to treat him against his will.”
The rights group could not be reached for further comment and the claim could not be verified.
The International Committee of the Red Cross warned Friday that Allan, who has been held without trial since November, was “at immediate risk” of death after refusing food for 50 days.
Allan’s attorney Jamil al-Khatib told AFP on Saturday that Israeli judicial officials “informed me of the intention to proceed with the force feeding of Mr Allan.”
If carried out it would be the first case since the adoption last month of a new law permitting the practice.
On July 30, parliament approved a law allowing prisoners on hunger strike facing death to be force fed, sparking criticism from rights groups and doctors.
Allan, who is a lawyer, is being held under a procedure allowing indefinite internment without trial or charge.
Palestinians in Israeli prisons regularly go on hunger strike to protest conditions, particularly those who are held in what Israel calls administrative detention, or detention without trial.