Palestinians say they would consider a US offer to hold indirect peace talks with Israel if the talks are focused on the issue of the borders.
Foreign Minister Riyad al-Malki said on Monday that the Palestinian Authority needed more information from Washington, along with support from Arab states, before making a commitment to the US offer on the peace talks, Reuters reported.
"This proximity talks should focus on one issue only. That issue is borders," Malki added.
He said the timeframe for the talks should be limited to a maximum of three to four months.
"And we need to know what if these talks fail — what will be the position of Americans and what will they do?" Malki added.
He said if the answers were acceptable, Palestinians would discuss the idea with Arab leaders and, if they supported it, the Palestinian response to the offer would be positive.
The foreign minister said the idea of proximity talks was Washington’s way to save face by trying to show that it was not giving up.
Earlier on Sunday, acting Palestinian Authority Chief Mahmoud Abbas accused Washington of stalling peace talks, saying President Barack Obama had adopted a different stance from what he promised at the beginning of his term last year.
He said the Palestinians expect Obama to "convince the Israelis to announce a complete freeze on construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem for a few months."
Abbas has formerly said he will only return to peace negotiations if Israel completely stops settlement-expansion in the occupied West Bank.
He has also rejected a limited, 10-month construction freeze ordered by Israel in November as insufficient.