Call for Yarmouk Truce as Aid Crisis Grows in Jordan

Jan 9 2013 / 2:58 am

Palestinian factions in Damascus supporting the Syrian regime have called for a ceasefire after a month of fighting between government troops and rebels in the Yarmouk district in the south of the capital.

In a statement on Tuesday, representatives of Damascus-based Palestinian groups called for a halt to all military operations in order to enable medical teams and food supply trucks to aid civilians affected by the conflict in Yarmouk.

On Tuesday, activists said at least four people were killed in government bombardments and sniper fire in Yarmouk, as clashes raged on its outskirts.

Yarmouk has been home to Palestinian refugees for decades. Many Syrians also live in the area. Since the uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad began in 2011, residents have been divided with some taking up arms against the regime and some fighting to support it.

The Palestinian groups urged rebels to withdraw from the area “in order not to bear the responsibility of the continuing displacement of residents.

“We call on armed men to withdraw from Yarmouk so the people of the camp can have a roof over their heads again, and put a stop to political strife in Yarmouk,” said a statement issued at a press conference by factions allied to the Syrian regime.

Palestinians in Syria must remain “neutral” in the country’s spiraling crisis, said the statement, which was signed by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command, the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine and the Nidal Front.

Signatories called on Hamas and the Palestine Liberation Organization to launch an international campaign to enable the return of most of the 150,000 Palestinian residents of Yarmouk, who fled when major violence broke out there in mid-December.

In late December, a PLO official said more than 700 Palestinians have been killed in Syria’s violence.

An anti-regime activist in Yarmouk told Al Jazeera that Tuesday’s announcement had made no difference on the ground, as clashes and shelling by government forces continued. He said that a truce deal between rebels and pro-Assad factions two weeks ago had temporarily calmed the situation and allowed some families to return, but the ceasefire broke down shortly after it was agreed.

Aid Crisis

Syrian refugees frustrated over poor living conditions at a camp in neighboring Jordan started a riot as humanitarian workers were distributing aid.

Scuffles broke out at the Zaatrai camp early on Tuesday morning after heavy rains and cold weather worsened the plight of refugees there.

“The incident started when a large number of refugees were queuing as usual for food handouts,” Al Jazeera’s Nisreen El-Shamayleh, reporting from Jordan, said.

“They were really frustrated and borderline aggressive because it has been very cold and has been raining nonstop for the last 24 hours.”

The United Nations said on Tuesday it is unable to provide aid to one million Syrians in need due to government restrictions on aid distribution and poor security in the war-torn country.

The UN’s World Food Programme is handing out food rations to about 1.5 million people in Syria each month, still short of the 2.5 million deemed to be in need of aid, Elisabeth Byrs, the WFP spokeswoman, said.

The WFP is unable to step up assistance as only a handful of aid agencies are authorized to distribute relief goods in Syria.

“Our main partner, the [Syrian Arab] Red Crescent, is overstretched and has no more capacity to expand further,” Byrs told a news briefing in Geneva.

The UN last month appealed for $1.5b to help save the millions of Syrians suffering from what it called a dramatically deteriorating humanitarian situation.

Four million people in the country need urgent humanitarian aid, including an estimated two million displaced from their homes mainly by government bombardments of opposition-held areas.

(Al Jazeera and Agencies –

Posted by on Jan 9 2013 . Filed under News . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Comment

Please insert the correct number.

The Free Zone | Blog

  • November 27, 2015

    3rd Palestinian Shot, Killed by Israeli Forces in Al-Arrub Camp

    A 19-year-old Palestinian was shot and killed in al-Arrub refugee camp in northern Hebron on Thursday during clashes, medics told Ma'an, the 3rd Palestinian to be killed during the day. - Red Crescent officials said that Khalid Mahmoud al-Jawabreh, 19, was shot twice in the stomach by Israeli soldiers and later died from his injuries in the al-Ahli hospital in Hebron. - The teenager was shot during clashes in the camp... More →
  • November 27, 2015

    Abbas Described as a 'Precious Coin' by IDF Officer

    A senior officer in the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) has described Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas as a “precious coin” because he helps to quash resistance to the occupation, it has been reported in the Israeli media. - According to the Palestinian Safa news agency, which translates Hebrew language reports, the officer made his comment when addressing military correspondents in an IDF base on Tuesday.... More →
  • November 27, 2015

    Israeli Forces Shoot, Injure 16 During Funeral of Slain Palestinian

    Israeli forces shot and injured nine Palestinian youths with live fire, and seven more with rubber-coated steel bullets during clashes that erupted following the funeral of a young man who was killed by Israeli forces earlier on Thursday in the town of Qatanna northwest of Jerusalem City, locals said. - Locals said at least 40 others suffered from severe tear gas inhalation and had to be treated by medics after Israeli... More →
  • November 26, 2015

    Knesset Bill to Jail Minors on Terror Charges Passes 1st Vote

    The Israeli parliament on Wednesday approved a bill that would allow Palestinian minors under 14 who are facing terrorism charges to be sentenced to time in prison, a Knesset press release said. - The bill was approved in a preliminary vote with 64 in favor of the bill and 22 against. - If the bill becomes law, children under 14 would reportedly be placed in a children's home until they turn 14, after which the child... More →
  • November 26, 2015

    Israel Meets with Google and YouTube to Discuss Censoring Palestinian Videos

    Israel’s Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely has met with representatives of YouTube and Google to discuss ways to cooperate in what she calls the fight against “inciting violence and terrorism”. - Israel’s Maariv newspaper reported yesterday that Hotovely agreed to work with Google and YouTube in order to establish a joint working mechanism to monitor and prevent the publication of “inflammatory... More →
Support Palestine Chronicle
Support Palestine Chronicle
"The Palestine Chronicle is a beacon. History, witness, analysis and ways forward are here, written with authority and humanity. Long may it publish." — John Pilger.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Enter your email address to subscribe to our mailing list.
Chief Complaint
Return: A Palestinian Memoir
Idea of Israel
Disclaimer RSS Feed Contact us Donation Popup
© Copyright 1999-2015 All rights reserved
Powered By MediaSeniors