Thousands of Palestinians on Monday attended the joint funeral for two Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in Qalandiya refugee camp overnight during a raid to demolish an alleged attacker’s home.
The funeral set off from the Palestine Medical Center in Ramallah towards the Qalandiya refugee camp, where hundreds of Israeli forces had earlier raided the densely populated area and demolished the home of Muhammad Abu Shahin, a suspect in the killing of an Israeli settler on June 19 near the settlement of Dolev northwest of Ramallah.
Mourners laid the bodies of Laith Ashraf Manasra, 20, and Ahmad Abu al-Aish, 28, to rest before performing prayers in a mosque in the camp.
Armed fighters from the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, with which Abu al-Aish was affiliated, took part in the funeral.
Dozens of Palestinians were injured the night before as Israeli forces stormed the camp, with reports of gun battles with Palestinians.
Israeli forces entered the camp from all sides after closing off nearby roads as well as the Qalandiya military checkpoint and demolished the home of Abu Shahin.
An Israeli army spokesperson said that soldiers came under attack during the raid and fired towards the source of gunfire, confirming three hits.
Another Palestinian, Yusuf Abu Latifa, 17, was said to be critically wounded. Witnesses said Israeli forces stopped an ambulance he was being carried in and detained him while he was en route to hospital.
“In addition, hundreds of Palestinians attacked the force, hurling fire bombs, IEDs and rocks. Forces used riot dispersal means in order to disperse the mob,” the army spokesperson added.
– Read more: Thousands Attend Funeral of 2 Palestinians Killed in Qalandiya Camp – Ma’an