Monday, October 15, 2018 Last Update: 8:32 PM GMT

Clashes after Israel Closes Palestinian School in Nablus (VIDEOS)

(iStock) (iStock) Multimedia · User Galleries · News in Pictures Send us your pictures · Send us your stories What To Read Next SA artists ‘humiliated’ in Australia over heritage music performance WATCH: Oh beer! Crates of alcohol crash out of truck in Cape Town Clashes broke out in the occupied West Bank after Israeli forces ordered the closure of a Palestinian school near Nablus. (Photo: via Twitter)

Dozens of Palestinians participated in a protest against an Israeli army order to close a Palestinian high school in the al-Lubban village south of the northern occupied West Bank district of Nablus, on Monday, forcing the Israeli army to back down on the decision.

Local sources told Ma’an that Palestinian families and officials participated in a protest against the closure of the al-Sawiya school, seemed to have forced the Israeli army to back down on its earlier decision.

The Israeli army was to close the al-Sawiya high school, located on the Ramallah-Nablus road, under the pretext that students threw stones at Israeli soldiers nearby.

Israeli forces sealed off roads leading to the high school, in an attempt to prevent students from reaching it.

Meanwhile, as Palestinians began to peacefully protest the closure, Israeli forces attacked protesters and students at the school, causing clashes to break out.

(Ma’an, PC, Social Media)

Khan al-Ahmar Flooded with Wastewater for the Second Time

Residents of Khan al-Ahmar block Israeli bulldozers to stop the demolition of their village. (Photo: Activestills.org)

Jewish settlers stormed the Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar, east of Jerusalem, on Monday, and flooded the area with wastewater for the second time.

Locals said that Jewish settlers from the nearby illegal settlement of Kfar Adummim stormed the village and flooded Khan al-Ahmar with wastewater, causing serious environmental and health hazard for residents.

Sources added that the wastewater from the Kfar Adummim settlement flooded large areas of the village, as Jewish settlers attempt to assist the Israeli government force the residents to leave the area.

This is not the first time Jewish settlers flooded the village with wastewater, causing serious damage to land and property.

Khan al-Ahmar is in danger of being demolished by Israeli forces at any moment, which would displace 181 people, half of whom are children.

(Ma’an, PC, Social Media)

Palestinian Prisoner Begins Hunger Strike against Administrative Detention

Israel employs administrative detention extensively and routinely, even against Palestinian children. (Photo: via ActiveStills.org)

Palestinian prisoner Ahmed Al-Rimawi launched a hunger strike to protest against Israeli occupation forces holding him under administrative detention, Quds Press reported yesterday.

According to a statement issued by the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club (PPC), the Israeli occupation arrested 26-year-old Al-Rimawi in August 2017 and he has been held under administrative detention – detention with trial or charge – since.

The PPC said that Al-Rimawi’s two brothers are being held in the occupation’s jails, one has been sentenced to 32 years in jail while the other was arrested three months ago.

Al-Rimawi, who is currently in Nafha Prison, has previously spent three years in Israeli jails.

There are about 430 Palestinians held under administrative detention in the occupation’s jails. The total number of Palestinian prisoners inside Israeli prisons is about 6,500, including 350 children.

(MEMO, PC, Social Media)

Abbas Calls for Dissolving Palestinian Parliament

Mahmoud Abbas speaking at a meeting in Ramallah. (Photo: Usama Falah, Wafa Images)

Without reaching a reconciliation with the Palestinian factions, Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas yesterday called for the Palestinian parliament to be dissolved.

During a meeting of Fatah’s Revolutionary Council in Ramallah, Abbas issued a decision calling for the PLO’s Central Council to take the needed measures to dissolve parliament.

The PLO’s Central Council is slated for a meeting at the end of this month.

In a statement, Fatah’s Revolutionary Council said that the Central Council would prepare for general elections in the occupied West Bank, Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip.

According to the statement, the Central Council is to carry out the elections only in the occupied West Bank if the situation on the ground does not allow for them to be carried out in Gaza and Jerusalem.

(MEMO, PC, Social Media)

Netanyahu Threatens ‘Very Painful Blows’ against Gaza

Palestinians taking part in the Great March of Return. (Photo: Abdallah Aljamal, Palestine Chronicle)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu yesterday warned that Israel would strike Gaza with “very powerful blows” if the Great March of Return protests were not brought to an end.

Speaking at the weekly cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said:

“Hamas apparently has not understood the message: if it does not stop its attacks, they will stop in another way, in the form of painful blows, very painful.”

He added:

“We are very close to another type of action that includes very hard shots. If Hamas is clever, it will cease fire and violence now.”

Prior to Netanyahu’s remarks, Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman warned that the time had come to deliver “the hardest blow” to Hamas should the “violence” on the “border” not stop, he said in reference to the protests being held by unarmed activists.

According to Ynet News, Lieberman said:

“We have turned every stone, and we have passed the point of no return … We have reached the stage where we must deliver the hardest blow imaginable on Hamas.”

(MEMO, PC, Social Media)

Israeli Police Investigating Palestinian Woman’s Death in Car

Palestinian Aisha Al-Rawbi, a mother of eight, died after Jewish settlers stoned her car in the West Bank. (Photo: via Social Media)

Israeli police said on Saturday they were investigating the death of a Palestinian woman in the occupied West Bank after her husband said he suspected Jewish settlers had pelted their car with rocks.

Reuters was unable to independently verify the circumstances of the incident but footage of the car, which a Reuters cameraman said bore Palestinian license plates, showed what appeared to be a blood-stained broken brick at the foot of the passenger seat, which was covered in shattered glass and blood stains.

A source at the Nablus hospital where Aisha al-Rawbi was brought said the 47-year-old, a mother of eight, was dead on arrival and that she had suffered a head injury. Her relatives said an autopsy was to be carried out at another hospital.

The woman’s husband, Aykube al-Rawbi, 52, said he was driving by a settlement late on Friday after dark along the main road near the Palestinian city of Nablus and that he could not clearly see who pelted the car.

Al-Rawbi said:

“The stones came from the side where the settlement is. I could hear the people speak Hebrew, but I didn’t see them.”

Israeli Police Spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said:

“Police arrived in the area and have opened an investigation into the circumstances behind the incident reported.”

There was no immediate comment from Palestinian officials.

(MEMO, PC, Social Media)

New Zealand BDS Activists Raise Money for Gaza after Anti-BDS Fine by Israel

Pop star Lorde performing at Coachella in 2014. (Photo: Thomas Hawk, Flickr)

Two New Zealand pro-Palestinian activists have raised NZ$17,576 ($11,435) as of Sunday for a Palestinian charity after being fined by an Israeli court for their alleged role in persuading pop star Lorde to cancel a concert in Tel Aviv last year.

Justine Sachs and Nadia Abu-Shanab said last week they would not pay the fine of 45,000 shekels ($12,416) awarded to three Israeli teenagers, calling the court’s ruling a “stunt” intended to intimidate Israel’s critics.

Instead, they asked people to donate money through website givealittle.co.nz to the Gaza Mental Health Foundation, a volunteer group that raises funds for mental health and women’s empowerment groups in the Gaza Strip.

As of Sunday, they raised NZ$17,576, according to the website.

Abu-Shanab told Radio New Zealand:

“Given that we’ve actually had this kind of push upon us – we felt that it was expedient to actually recenter the issue back on Palestine.”

The case arose from an open letter that Sachs and Abu-Shanab wrote to Lorde, a New Zealander, on the website thespinoff.co.nz in December urging her to call off her planned concert.

Lorde canceled her concert in Israel that same month after a campaign by the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) group, which campaigns for Palestinian rights, that included the open letter published by Sachs and Abu-Shanab.

(MEMO, PC, Social Media)

Israel Orders Immediate Halt of Fuel Deliveries to Gaza

Gaza is on the verge of collapse due to the worsening crisis. (Photo: Activestills.org)

Israel’s Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman has ordered an immediate halt to fuel deliveries headed to the besieged Gaza Strip in response to what he said were attacks against Israeli soldiers and civilians, his office announced on Friday.

The announcement on Friday follows the killing of six Palestinians by Israeli forces during the ongoing Great March of Return protests.

The statement from Lieberman’s office read:

“Israel will not tolerate a situation in which fuel tankers are allowed to enter Gaza on the one hand, while terror and violence are used against [Israeli] soldiers and Israeli citizens on the other.”

Qatari-bought fuel began arriving on Tuesday in a bid to alleviate the humanitarian situation in the besieged enclave and prevent any escalation in Israeli-Palestinian violence.

Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem said at the time:

“The Qatari fuel to the Gaza strip’s power plant today is aimed at partially improving electricity [supply] in Gaza.”

The fuel deliveries were aimed at easing months of protests along the separation fence east of Gaza, which has been under a crippling Israeli and Egyptian blockade for more than a decade.

Last week, Lieberman’s office announced a further reduction to the Gaza’s fishing zone, from nine nautical miles to six.

Lieberman said the measure was in response to “riots” along the fence dividing Israel and Gaza and a midweek beach protest in which fishing boats and demonstrators gathered at the northwest end of the Gaza Strip.

The United Nations has warned that Israel’s 11-year blockade of the strip has resulted in a “catastrophic” humanitarian situation.

Under the UN-brokered deal, Qatar pays for the fuel which is then delivered through Israel with UN monitoring, a diplomatic source said.

A Qatari official, speaking to Reuters news agency on Sunday, said Doha planned to help with Gaza’s power crisis “at the request of donor states in the UN, to prevent an escalation of the existing humanitarian disaster”.

Israel’s energy minister, Yuval Steinitz, told Reuters on Monday that Qatar “was trying to help” prevent a Gaza flare-up.

(AJE, PC, Social Media)

Israeli Forces Kill Six Palestinians in Gaza

Palestinians taking part in the Great March of Return in Gaza. (Photo: Abdallah Aljamal, PC)

Israeli forces have killed six Palestinians, including two teenage boys, during ongoing protests along the Israeli separation fence east of Gaza, according to Ashraf al-Qidra, the enclave’s health ministry spokesperson.

Four Palestinians were killed along the fence east of Al-Bureij in the center of the Gaza Strip, while one died east of Gaza City, al-Qidra said.

The five victims identified so far are Ahmed Ibrahim Zaki al-Taweel (27), Mohammed Abdulhafid Youssef Ismail (29), Ahmed Ahmed Abdallah Abu Naeem (17), Abdallah Barham Ibrahim Suleiman al-Daghma (25) and Afifi Mahmoud Atta Afifi (18).  

Al-Qidra said 112 others were wounded, 85 of whom were targeted with live ammunition.

(AJE, PC, Social Media)

Jerusalem Municipality Staff Threatens to Demolish Silwan Buildings (VIDEO)

116 Jerusalemite facilities were demolished in 2017. Nearly 241 residents became homeless as a result. (Photo: PIC)

The Israeli municipality of Jerusalem’s staff, escorted by Israeli police forces, stormed the Silwan neighborhood in occupied East Jerusalem, on Friday.

Residents of Silwan told Ma’an that staff from the Israeli municipality of Jerusalem stormed several areas of the neighborhood, under armed protection by Israeli police forces, and photographed residential and commercial buildings and raided a few of them.

The staff briefly confiscated the ID’s of some residents and documented their names.

The staff also threatened to demolish the buildings that were built without the difficult-to-obtain Israeli permit and handed out summon notices for several residents to meet with the municipality.

Residents pointed out that the staff regularly storms Silwan every week and takes pictures of the residential and commercial buildings, as well as agricultural lands.

Israel uses the pretext of building without a permit to carry out demolitions of Palestinian-owned homes on a regular basis.

Israel rarely grants Palestinians permits to build in East Jerusalem, though the Jerusalem municipality has claimed that compared to the Jewish population, they receive a disproportionately low number of permit applications from Palestinian communities, which also see high approval ratings.

For Jewish settlers in occupied East Jerusalem, the planning, marketing, development, and infrastructure are funded and executed by the Israeli government. By contrast, in Palestinian neighborhoods, all the burden falls on individual families to contend with a lengthy permit application that can last several years and cost tens of thousands of dollars.

(Ma’an, PC, Social Media)