A restricted number of Palestinians were allowed entry into occupied East Jerusalem for Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa until 10 am, through the ‘300 checkpoint’ in northern Bethlehem, Palestinian police spokesman Luay Irzeiqat told Ma’an
Israeli authorities allowed Palestinian men above the age of 45 and women of all ages to enter the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound.
Palestinian men between the ages of 35 and 45 were only allowed entrance if they held Israeli-issued permits to attend prayers on the first Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.
Following a shooting in Tel Aviv on Wednesday, thousands of other Palestinians were prevented from crossing at checkpoints, which have since been closed.
Palestinian police forces were deployed near the ‘300 checkpoint’ to organize and guide the entry of Palestinians, while handing out hats to protect them from the heat, Irzeiqat added.
While some opted to read their prayers at the checkpoint, others said they will continue trying to enter Jerusalem for the Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque.
The Israeli army announced a military closure on the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip with the exception of humanitarian and medical cases.
Gazans who had previously been allowed to go pray at Al-Aqsa saw their permits frozen for Ramadan.