Israel’s Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman says there has been "no proof" that the regime was involved in the assassination of a senior Hamas official by a hit squad, using fake European documents.
"There is no proof Israel is involved in this affair, and if somebody had presented any proof, aside from press stories, we would have reacted," he said in a statement from his office.
"But since there are no concrete elements, there is no need to react," he added.
The allegations were raised against the regime after Dubai police released photos and information of eleven European passport holders, who murdered Hamas commander Mahmud al-Mabhouh in his hotel room on January 20.
The suspects were allegedly Mossad agents that used fake British, Irish, French, and German passports, Dubai police said.
After meeting Lieberman in Brussels on Monday, Irish Foreign Minister Micheal Martin said his Israeli counterpart did not deny the involvement of the Tel Aviv regime in the affair.
"We did seek assurances or clarifications… (but) he indicated strongly that he had no information whatsoever, and couldn’t provide any additional information in relation to what happened in Dubai," Martin said.
Earlier in the day, Dubai police chief Gen. Dhahi Khalfan Tamim said despite Israel’s attempts to deny involvement in the assassination, "Police are in possession of dozens of items of incriminating evidence against the cell which attest to the Mossad’s involvement."
Israeli and European media formerly reported that Israeli Prime Minster Benjamin Netanyahu had authorized the assassination of the Hamas commander in a meeting with Mossad chief Meir Dagan in early January in Tel Aviv.