Official: PLO Seeking Return of Refugees to Damascus Camp

Jan 7 2013 / 7:02 pm

PLO leaders, the Free Syria Army and Syrian regime forces are in ongoing talks to finalize an agreement to allow Palestinian refugees who fled fighting in a Damascus camp to return, a PLO official said.

Anwar Abdul-Hadi, a senior PLO official in Damascus, told Ma’an late Sunday that the deal had been delayed because of several demands by the Free Syria Army.

Initial reports of an imminent agreement to end violence in Yarmouk camp and allow refugees to return were released earlier on Sunday by sources in Syria.

Abdul Hadi said that PLO representatives responsible for holding talks had rushed into announcing an agreement had been reached without having secured guarantees that Palestinian refugees could return to the camp.

PLO representatives have put forward three major demands in the negotiations. All armed groups, including Palestinian gunmen, must withdraw from the camp, food and fuel must be allowed in for residents, and the neutrality of the camp must be respected by all sides, Abdul Hadi said.

The PLO will not call for refugees to return to Yarmouk while gunmen still operate inside the camp, he added.

Six Palestinians were killed in Syria on Saturday, including a five-year-old girl in Sbeineh refugee camp, sources said Sunday. Yarmouk has been under total blockade by the Syrian army for four days, preventing the entry of fuel, food and medical supplies, they added.

In December, heavy fighting broke out in Yarmouk between Syrian rebels and the army, causing Palestinians to flee.

Syria hosts half a million Palestinian refugees, descendants of those admitted after the creation of Israel in 1948.

(Ma’an –

Posted by on Jan 7 2013 . Filed under News . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Comment

Please insert the correct number.

The Free Zone | Blog

  • December 1, 2015

    Palestinian Teen Shot Dead after Alleged Attack near Tulkarem

    An Israeli military officer shot and killed a 19-year-old Palestinian woman at a checkpoint east of Tulkarem on Tuesday, saying that she had attempted to stab him, Israel's army said. - An Israeli army spokesperson said that the officer killed the young woman at a checkpoint near the illegal settlement of Enav east of Tulkarem because she posed an "immediate danger" to him. - The Israeli officer was not injured during... More →
  • December 1, 2015

    PLO: Israeli Decision to Suspend Contact with EU Political 'Blackmail'

    Secretary-General of the PLO, Saeb Erekat, on Monday accused Israel's Prime Minister of "blackmailing" the international community following a move to suspend contact with the European Union after a decision to label Israeli settlement goods. - "With his latest decision regarding the European Union, Prime Minister Netanyahu insists in blackmailing the international community. His goal is clear: To maintain his culture... More →
  • November 30, 2015

    Arab Parliament: Resolving the Palestinian Issue Will Reduce Terrorism by 80%

    A fair solution to the Palestinian issue would reduce the sources of tension and terror in the Middle East and across the globe, the Speaker of the Arab Parliament Ahmed bin Mohammed Al-Jarwan said yesterday. - “The occupation has violated all agreements that stipulate the punishment of those who carry out ethnic cleansing, and violated international treaties that protect civil and political rights,” Al-Jarwan said... More →
  • November 30, 2015

    2 Israelis Convicted for 2014 Killing of Muhammad Abu Khdeir

    Israel's Jerusalem District Court on Monday convicted two Israelis for the murder of Palestinian teenager Muhammad Abu Khdeir last summer, with a third suspect who admitted to the killing escaping conviction on the grounds of his mental health. - The conviction of Yosef Ben David, the ringleader of the gang that kidnapped, assaulted, and burned Muhammad, 16, to death, was suspended to allow for a last minute... More →
  • November 30, 2015

    PA: 100 Days Since Humanitarian Cases Allowed Through Rafah Crossing

    The Palestinian Authority on Monday urged the Egyptian authorities to allow humanitarian cases to leave the blockaded Gaza Strip, saying the Rafah crossing has now been closed to such cases more than 100 straight days. - The PA committee for crossings and borders said in a statement that the crossing had only been open for 19 non-consecutive days this year. - It was last opened for three days at the beginning of... More →
Support Palestine Chronicle
Support Palestine Chronicle
"The Palestine Chronicle is a beacon. History, witness, analysis and ways forward are here, written with authority and humanity. Long may it publish." — John Pilger.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Enter your email address to subscribe to our mailing list.
Chief Complaint
Return: A Palestinian Memoir
Idea of Israel
Disclaimer RSS Feed Contact us Donation Popup
© Copyright 1999-2015 All rights reserved
Powered By MediaSeniors