A charity organization joins a campaign for the legal prosecution of Israeli authorities behind the recent bloodshed and mistreatment of Gaza-bound activists.
Israeli forces on May 31 attacked the international Freedom Flotilla aid convoy which had set sail to break Tel Aviv’s siege of the Gaza Strip. The assault in international waters killed and wounded many peace activists.
The UK-registered Palestine Legal Aid Fund’s (PLAF) president Mary Nazzal-Batayneh said on Tuesday that it is going to initiate court action on behalf of the Turkish families who lost their loved ones, AFP reported. It would as well represent the hundreds of activists who were subsequently arrested and subjected to violence, she added.
Batayneh said the activists had been "abducted and imprisoned, many of whom were beaten and wounded and nearly all their belongings confiscated."
She said the group would employ internationally-recognized lawyers and begin later in the month to raise funds for the legal action.
"A trial should be held in Britain based on the British legal system," Batayneh added.
Even before the assault, the PLAF head had said that the charity was going to sue Israeli authorities, enterprises and organizations whom, she believes, are to blame for the Palestinian suffering.
Israel, meanwhile, has rejected the United Nations call for an international probe into the carnage, insisting it would run its own examination.
French survivors of the attack have also said they would push for legal action against Tel Aviv through the International Court of Justice in The Hague.
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak cancelled a scheduled trip to France after the activists demanded the French police to detain him upon his arrival.