Dozens of Palestinians Injured in West Bank Protests

Dozens of Palestinians were injured on Friday as Israeli forces suppressed protests across the West Bank in support of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound amid ongoing entry restrictions.

An Israeli armyspokespersondid not immediately respond for comment on the number of injuries, but said clashes in the West Bank were ongoing.

Israeli forces on Friday afternoon shot and injured a Palestinian with live bullets in clashes in Silwad village, northeast of Ramallah, local sources said.

Israeli forces raided the village and the house of Muammar Ayyad and assaulted his family members, anumber of whom were taken to Ramallah hospital to treat their bruises and fractures.

Israeli forces also assaulted and arrested two men, identified as Maher Thaljiya and Riyad Allan, and took them to an unknown destination.

Fifteen Palestinians were injured, including six with live bullets, in clashes near Ofer detention center, west of Ramallah.

Medical sources said six were shot with live bullets, and nine others were hit with rubber-coated steel bullets as Israeli forces dispersed a protest in support of Al-Aqsa Mosque near the detention center.

Locals said around 90 people participated in the protest.

Three Palestinians were injured at the Qalandiya military checkpoint after being shot by rubber-coated steel bullets as protesters marched from Qalandiya refugee camp following Friday prayers.

Dozens more suffered tear gas inhalation.

Youths threw rocks, empty bottles, and Molotov cocktails at Israeli forces at the checkpoint, who responded with stun grenades, tear gas, and.22-caliber bullets.

In Bilin, Palestinian and international activists suffered tear gas inhalation as Israeli military forces suppressed a weekly march in the village.

Demonstrators raised flags and chanted slogans in support of Al-Aqsa Mosque and Christian holy sites, with local popular committee member Abdullah Abu Rahmeh condemning Israeli raids in East Jerusalem’s Old City.

In Kafr Qaddum village in Qalqiliya one minor, identified asMohammad Abdullah, 13, as well asNasser Barham, 46, andBashar Shtewei, 45,sustained gun shot wounds during a weekly Friday march,Popular Resistance Committee coordinator Murad Shtewei said.

At least 15 others were injured with rubber-coated steel bullets in the village, Shtewei said.

Israeli forces usedtear gas and skunk water to disperse protesters during Kafr Qaddum’s weekly demonstration.

Shtewei added thatIsraeli forces raided his home and pepper sprayed his wife, 30, two children, 8 and 6, and his brother, 50, and did not allow medics to enter the house. They later smashed the windows of the house and used it as a military ground.

Youths hurled projectiles at police near Ofer prison and Jalazun refugee camp.

Clashes were also reported in Hebron, Nablus, Tulkarem, Qalqiliya and near the 300 checkpoint in Bethlehem, where witnesses said Palestinian Authority security forces assaulted demonstrators and detained at least 13 youths.

In Ramallah, a march set off from the el-Bireh mosque towards al-Manara Square.

Israeli security forces walk past burning tires during clashes with Palestinian protesters in the H2 area of Hebron. (AFP/Hazem Bader)

At least two Palestinians were shot and injured by Israeli forces overnight Thursday in Bethlehem and the Nablus area, as tensions run high in the occupied West Bank.

Anas Muhammad Saleh, 17, was shot in the thigh during clashes between Palestinian youths and Israeli soldiers near the Aida refugee camp in Bethlehem, whileAhmad Izzat Khatatbeh, 26, from Beit Furik village was critically injured near Nablus after an alleged firebomb attack on an Israeli military vehicle.

Hundreds of additional Israeli police officers were deployed in the alleyways of East Jerusalem’s Old City on Friday as Israeli authorities prepared for further unrest.

There were reports of clashes following Friday prayers, with Israeli forces firing tear gas, rubber-coated bullets, and sound bombs to disperse worshipers near Damascus Gate, Silwan, and Ras al-Amud.

Palestinian protesters have clashed with Israeli forces at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in East Jerusalem for three days after increased visits by Jewish rightist groups under armed guard, in spite of international calls for calm.

Hamas had called for a “day of rage” to coincide with weekly Friday prayers, and Israeli authorities reportedly fear further trouble with the approach of more religious holidays.

The Muslim feast of Eid al-Adha will coincide on Wednesday with the solemn Jewish fast of Yom Kippur.
Following Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem in 1967, Israel has maintained an agreement with the Islamic trust that controls the Al-Aqsa compound not to allow non-Muslim prayer in the area.

Jewish prayer is allowed at the neighboring Western Wall, which is the last remnant of the Second Temple.

A small but vocal Israeli minority, among them cabinet ministers, are demanding that Jewish prayer be allowed, with fringe groups calling for the destruction of the mosque and building of a third temple.


(The Palestine Chronicle is a registered 501(c)3 organization, thus, all donations are tax deductible.)
Our Vision For Liberation: Engaged Palestinian Leaders & Intellectuals Speak Out